Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Let's talk about brass and glass

As I said, the one piece of furniture I hate in our furnished condo is the dining room set.  
So here it is - and you get a view of the glorious holey orange drapes free of charge:



The top is smoked glass that sits on a brass quadropod (bet you didn't think I knew that word).  The chairs are pink/beige striped burlap-y stuff sitting on those springy brass bendy forms.  

My preferred solution is to get a "new to us" set... maybe in maple.  You can see a couple of "Colonial Maple" tables in the living room, and there are three more pieces, including a dry sink for the dining room, there now.  So getting a table that goes with that would/should work.  And while I can find sets that suit my design aesthetic (like I know what that means), His Grace, the Duke is very particular about what he puts his aristocratic ... on.  Actually, the issue is that His Grace is not a tall man, and too many chairs are too long in the seat and either his feet don't touch the floor or his back doesn't reach the chair back.  So buying is not an entirely win-win situation.

But if I'm going to make the best of what we've got, I have to figure out what to do with ol' brass and glass.  Clearly the upholstery isn't a problem - drop cloth.  But what to do with the brass.  And I'm thinking of painting it using Rustoleum's oil rubbed bronze: http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/metallic.  I'd have to paint the light fixture too, obviously.

But what about the glass top?  Should I paint the underside of that?  The same colour?  Suggestions appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Modge-podge a collage of craft papers to the underside of the table?

    ReplyDelete